Friday 6 September 2013

Yesterday's Today Post

Hello, today's post that was supposed to be yesterday's post is what I have. I've finally been out and about in the countryside that surrounds my home, foraging, picking, eating the odd Blackberry or four and generally enjoying the sunny September showers. Not all is ready to pick and some is more than ready, which is why I ate more than I collected. One more week for the apples and the same for the hazel nuts, all else is good to go or still hiding. The year's weather has been odd and as a result the various things that are good to eat are coming up at staggered intervals and that, in my eye's at least, is a good thing, the harvest will last longer and thus so will the merriment that goes with it.

My Beloved Ridgeway
Apples On The Way
Blackberry's Well Protected

A Blackberry Or Four
An abundance of Hazelnuts 


Different Competition, Pheasants are partial to a Blackberry too.
 A true Crab Apple, rare enough amongst today's accidental hybrids.
A sweet and sour cross pollinated Apple on the way home, very tasty.
A welcome rest in the shade of Ash and Hawthorn
 A view from the shade
Another place on my way home

 I managed to find the ingredients to my favorite pudding, Apple and Blackberry crumble, with crushed Hazelnuts in the wonderful crumble of which I write (and dream), and on top of that, even though I have to wait for a little bit longer, I got to enjoy the country around my home, a fine result for any day.

Remember, unless you are 100% sure of what is edible, do not eat it.
There are many courses that teach the skills country folk have by birth, and believe me, we'd rather everyone knew and enjoyed the countryside, that way respect for it is born.

Peace In All

No comments:

Post a Comment