Thursday 12 September 2013

A Past Behind

Hello, I hope you enjoyed yesterday's post. It is a good thing that I am painting today, I awoke to torrents of Autumn rain this morning, a beautiful sound to fall asleep to, not such a good one to wake up to,  for some anyway. I happen to like the rain, as one of previous post's should shed some light on. The rain is a cleansing force I have always thought, in both the obvious sense, in that rain is water, and the fact that the troubles of yesterday seem lessened by a heavy fall. Yesterday's and the way folk view their own personal yesterday's are tricky. It's easy to become overwhelmed by your past, to dwell on old hurt and to let it rule your present and future. It has always been said that putting your past behind you is the best thing to do, in many cases this is very true, some have said without your past you are blind to the future, again, in some respects very true. To move on however is not always as easy as it seems, emotional attachment to bygone happenings can be very strong. My personal past has some black pages, if we are honest we've all got a few things locked away that we really should deal  with but don't. For a long time I let my past dictate my future until it nearly killed me. I have been told it's miraculous that I'm still alive, some have said that it just wasn't my time, some say I was just extremely lucky, I personally think along the lines of a healthy mixture of all three and with that in mind I would like to say this; it is all to easy to live in the past and even to hide in it, the past makes us who we are as people, what we intend to do with the rest of our lives partly defines us, use the lessons learnt from the mistakes of our past to live a better life in the present moment and the future, people some times say without thinking "Deal with it", but they hardly ever say how, to be fair to them they probably don't know, but using the bad things in a positive way to shape the future is the way I know as regards dealing with it, after all, if we do not move forward, or if we hide in our problems or use them as an excuse, then we are not moving forward.

Present Day's Fuel

I sat quiet alone for long still hours,
each black page of the past came forth,
I snatched each page from memory's book,
studied each one until I understood,
beside was a pen with shining white ink,
and all of the past's black pages,
with what I had learned from each black page,
I began to write a future in brilliant white,
covering the old bitter story with light,
the old words of hurt are still there to be read,
but they fade in the sun of the life I write now,
I owe much to that terrible old dark story,
without it's lesson I'd lose present love's glory,
and thus the past shall no longer rule me,
though it's lesson's are still there,
but only to fuel me.

©D.N.Read2013

No comments:

Post a Comment